Los Angeles Zoo’s “Wild for the Planet” celebrates the Zoo’s 50th Anniversary and kicks off Earth Day April 22
Wild for the Planet is an annual celebration at the Los Angeles Zoo that celebrates the importance of protecting the planet and its animals through activities, education, and of course, animals! This year’s celebration is extra special because it is also the LA Zoo’s 50th Anniversary!
When: April 22, 2017 – May 19, 2017
Starting Sunday April 22nd, 2017, Wild for the Planet kicks off Earth Day
and runs through Friday, May 19th, 2017 (Endangered Species Day).
Special Programming on Saturdays and Sundays
From 10am to 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays, there will be special programming. Click here to see the full schedule.
Here are a few weekend only highlights:
- “ZooLAbrate!” performances (11 am, 1:30 pm and 3 pm)
- Special animal feedings and keeper talks at 1 and 2 pm
- Conservation Stations spotlighting efforts to protect and restore species in the Zoo’s care
- Interactive puppet show about conserving presented by Swazzle (10:30 am, 12 pm and 2:30 pm) starring environmental superhero Ricky Raccoon.
- Planting for Pollinators Station highlighting the importance of pollinators and providing the opportunity to plant California poppies and yarrow, plants native to California, to attract pollinators
- Earth Expo, with vendors (April 22 and 23 and May 13 and 14, and mobile stations April 29 and 30 and May 6 and 7) that emphasize local conservation efforts for the planet and animals
Get new insight into the Zoo’s efforts to protect endangered and threatened species with a #SAVINGSPECIES guide distributed daily, and special animal enrichment and keeper presentations on weekends.
Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens
Address: 5333 Zoo Drive, Los Angeles, CA, 90027
Photo Credit: Jamie Pham
Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only. Westside Mommy is invited to Wild for the Planet at the LA Zoo as a member of the media to cover the event. Images and content provided by The Los Angeles Zoo. All opinions are 100% my own.