Spring Fling at the L.A. Zoo
Spring is officially here, and the L.A. Zoo kicked it off today with their Spring Fling Event. It runs through April 28th, with an array of Eco-awareness booths, activities, and entertainment.
My family and I visited today and enjoyed some of what the event had to offer. Below is part of the weekend programming.
This year’s acrobatic theme is “Pollination Celebration”. We learned about different ways flowers are pollinated. They highlighted the bee, the butterfly, bats, and lemurs as vehicles to help flowers cross pollinate. It was both entertaining and educational. A definite must-see!
Photo Booth and Photo backdrop
Near the stage is a fun green-screen photo booth where you can have your image superimposed with a butterfly or lemur theme. There is also a beautiful “grass and flower” photo backdrop for selfies (like the one above).
Arts & Crafts
One of the fun crafts was to create and decorate a butterfly or a bee using construction paper and a clothespin.
Native Wildflower Seeds
We took home a little biodegradable starter planter with soil and seeds. We chose the California Poppy! These are available while supplies last. I can’t wait until our seeds start to sprout, especially since I don’t have much of a green thumb.
More fun weekend activities
- Roaming bee and butterfly puppeteers, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Earth Expo featuring favorite conservation and community organizations
- Two special animal feedings (check schedule during your visit)
- Sustainable living demonstrations (check schedule during your visit)
- Chalk art educational activity
- Honey Tasting from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (for an additional fee)
- Big Bunny photos April 13–14 and April 19–21 (for an additional fee)
During the week, there are still some fun Spring Fling activities:
- World of Birds Show at 12 and 2:30 p.m. (except Tuesdays), now starring California condor Hope, who is an inspiring ambassador for this critically endangered species
- Animals & You presentations featuring bunnies and other furry critters at 10:45 and 11:45 a.m. (with an extra show at 12:45 p.m. on weekends)
- Self-guided tour of our Bird Gardens, where you’ll find inspiration on simple landscaping updates that will
- Spring-themed photo ops
Los Angeles Zoo
Check the L.A. Zoo’s website for up-to-date information on Spring Fling:
L.A. Zoo Website: https://www.lazoo.org
Location: 5333 Zoo Drive, Los Angeles, CA. 90027 – Griffith Park at the intersection of the Golden State (5) and Ventura (134) freeways
Disclaimer: Westside Mommy attended this event as a member of the media. No monetary compensation was exchanged for this post. All opinions are honest and 100% my own.