5 reasons why the new Tae Ryong Taekwondo School in Brentwood is the perfect place for families to learn martial arts
On Friday, my daughter Aria and I took a “Parent and Me” class (listed as “Open Guided Training” on their schedule) at the brand-new, very clean Tae Ryong Taekwondo Studio in Brentwood. Afterwards, I took the Adults All Levels class, (HiiTFit TKD) while my daughter played in the play-room with the other kids and the caretaker!
1. It’s family-focused and family-run
Branch owner and instructor Master Nickie Quan has a 6th degree Black Belt and trained (and worked) in Taekwondo for over 20 years with Grandmaster Young Shin, the founder of Tae Ryong Schools. Master Quan is a new father and started this school because he wanted to create a place that caters to everyone, especially families of young children. At Tae Ryong Taekwondo Studio in Brentwood, they offer classes for students of all ages (from babies to senior citizens) and cater to all levels. His wife, daughter, and assistants are a big part of the warm, inviting environment of this family-oriented school built on community and friendship.
2. Child Care available so the Adults can work out in the HiiTFit TKD Class
At Tae Ryong Taekwondo Studio in Brentwood, there is a clean, adorably decorated room with plenty of toys for kids to play with. Here, children three and under are watched over by caretakers who also assist in the Parent & Me classes.
3. Parent & Me classes (A.K.A. “Baby Dragons”) for children ages 18 months – 3 years
My daughter and I had so much fun at the Parent & Me class at Tae Ryong Taekwondo Studio in Brentwood. I was so happy to find a school that has a program for the little ones! A parent himself, Master Nickie Quan knows how short a todder’s attention span is. The Baby Dragons class is set-up with different obstacles and stations. Master Nickie Quan and his assistant Gretel gently encourage, demonstrate, and help if needed. For the most part, they get down and play with the kids. They keep the parents and children engaged while creating a fun, safe, child-led environment that helps build confidence and trust.
4. You learn how to defend yourself
In addition to cardio, kicks, punches, and technique, we learned some self-defense tactics in the HiiTFit TKD class at Tae Ryong Taekwondo Studio in Brentwood. Master Nickie Quan was very and thorough in showing us what to do in dangerous situations and answered everyone’s questions! Self-defense is particularly important for parents, because we are not only protecting ourselves, but our children too.
5. Children learn lifelong skills applicable to all aspects of life
Martial arts classes teach respect, focus, self-discipline, health, and goal-setting skills. At Tae Ryong Taekwondo Studio in Brentwood, they enforce it. Master Nickie Quan puts person before profit and will only advance a student if they’ve earned it. This is an important life lesson that will help children become successful, confident individuals.
Tips for your visit
- There are a limited number of parking spaces (indicated by a Chinese Character over a white circle) reserved in the garage below the building. Complimentary valet parking is available when those spaces fill up.
- Water is available for purchase for $1
- Bring a snack for yourself and your child. They are likely to get an appetite from the workout!
- On Saturdays the entire family can work out during Family Class at 10:30am!
- Wear flip flops or something easy to slip off your feet!
- Bring a friend! Classes are more fun with friends.
- Call (310) 826-5425 to schedule a visit, or stop by the studio
- Your first class is free at Tae Ryong Taekwondo Studio in Brentwood when you mention “WESTSIDE MOMMY”